Spend Your Summer as an AmeriCorps VISTA in Berkeley County!
Use your summer to make a difference! Apply to be an AmeriCorps VISTA for the summer of 2021 in Martinsburg, WV. Collaborate with a coalition of local organizations to teach basic nutrition and gardening to youth in Berkeley County, and provide children with tools and knowledge to protect their health long-term through healthy lifestyles.
June 7, 2021 – August 16, 2021
Berkeley County, WV
Americorps VISTA duties include, but are not limited to:
- Creating fun, interactive lessons/education tools on healthy eating through the Berkeley County Schools Summer Feeding Program
- Address childhood food insecurity by providing recipes and fresh, local produce for free at family medicine offices through a farm-to-clinic program with WVU Medicine
- Work with the Martinsburg Garden of Promise community garden and Ranson Community Gardens on farm-to-school and community garden projects for kids to promote healthy eating and exercise
- Support local farmers’ market initiatives and promote healthy eating initiatives for families experiencing food insecurity, such as Double/Triple SNAP incentives for fruits and vegetables
- Learn about community health initiatives, project planning development, networking and collaboration, child nutrition and gardening activities.
- Americorps Summer VISTA volunteers are provided a $2,395 stipend over 10 week service period, plus a $1,311 education award at the end of service that can be used for tuition or loan payments.
- VISTAs can also elect to receive a $345 cash award at the end of service in lieu of the education award.
- Americorps VISTA positions are a great opportunity for college-age students to learn about different career paths, develop as professionals over the summer, and network in their communities.
- VISTA positions are also great for teachers, retirees and other individuals who are available for service in the summer months.
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Available for at least 35 hours per week between 6/7/21 and 8/16/21
- Must have access to reliable transportation for daily travel between service sites
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and basic computer skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Friendly, motivated, positive and collaborative attitude; willingness to learn and take initiative
- Previous experience working with children strongly preferred
- Interest in nutrition, community health and/or gardening preferred
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Please send résumés to Carla Toolan at [email protected]
- If your résumé is selected, you will be contacted for an interview.
- Following the interview, if you are selected for the next round, you will be required to create an AmeriCorps profile and complete the application on their website: https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista